Accueil - About
Paris-Panthéon-Assas University advocates diversity and cultivates a true synergy between research, instruction, and application.
It offers a broad choice of courses both in initial and continuing education, coalescing study abroad and field work.
Considered as France's first law University, Paris-Panthéon-Assas University is dedicated to upholding the tradition from which it arose, preserving, yet ever-striving to raise its level of excellence in the following disciplines: Private Law and Criminal Science, Public Law, Political Science, Roman Law, History of Law, Economics, Management, Information and Communication Sciences.
Our extensive partnerships not only with major French, European and International agencies, but also with major financial and industrial firms, ensure anchorage in the professional world and guarantee the veritable polyvalence for which we are known.
Attentive to students' needs, the University provides academic programs adapted to and organized within the LMD framework. Various digital services, tutorials, an ever-growing and comprehensive library database, course and professional counselling services, and a selection of extracurricular athletic and cultural activities all act in concert to complete and harmonize each student's University experience.
Historically rich, Paris-Panthéon-Assas University is heir of the former Faculté de Droit et de Sciences Economiques de Paris, once comprising the Sorbonne and located in the heart of the Latin Quarter since the 13th century.
At its origins, the University of Paris united four faculties: Theology, Medicine, Art, and Law. For nearly five centuries the teaching of Law was centered exclusively on ecclesiastical law until, under the reign of Louis XIV, Colbert introduced the instruction of civil law, from which French law would eventually arise.
The University headquarters are situated in Paris' 5th district, place du Panthéon. The building once designated as the law faculty, in and of itself, bears testimony to a rich and storied past, witnessing changes in form and function from its construction in 1770 and onwards : it was first part and parcel of the vast urban planning project that circumscribed the Panthéon, then transformed into city hall during the Revolution, extended in the 19th century and again in the 1950's once its original purpose, its earliest raison d'être, was reinstated in 1805.
The center at "rue d'Assas" was built in the beginning of the 1960s by J. Le Maresquier, giving the University of Paris, fragmented after the revolutionary events of 1968, the name "Paris 2 Panthéon-Assas".